Call for stories to the Baltic Cities Bulletin: “Culture's Role in Times of Crises”
We kindly ask you to send your stories to the next Baltic Cities Bulletin 2/2022 with the theme "Culture's Role in Times of Crises”. Each member city can submit two articles – one related to the theme of the Bulletin and one to the chapter City News. Please see further instructions below in "Writers' Guidelines".
The deadline for stories to the Bulletin is 21 November 2022.
Theme of the Bulletin: “Culture's Role in Times of Crises”
Let us all think about the role of culture during the times of crises and challenges. Europe has not recovered from the challenges of Covid-19 pandemic yet and now we are facing the war in Ukraine and emerging economic crisis. The situation is again requiring for our reaction and actions. Emerging risk for European Values, such as human dignity, freedom, peace, support and solidarity, let us understand how important and irreplaceable they are.
Therefore, we ask for stories in one or more of the following themes/questions:
- How the Cultural Sector and Cultural Politics react to these crises, and what are the actions taken by the municipal institutions to solve them. Which good practices could be shared between the cities?
- How did the war in Ukraine change the attitude to culture? What are the chances to save the culture?
- The importance of culture and the tools that can be used to achieve mutual understanding between European nations, fostering attentive and empathetic citizenship.
- Help for Ukrainian refugees: using cultural tools for better dialogue and refugees’ integration in European countries; creation of proper climate for creators and artists from Ukraine; creation and promotion of new cultural value.
- Challenges for formal and informal institutions and the ways to solve them. What conditions or available resources can lead to a leap in cultural field?
- Communities as the engine of cultural processes. How to empower them for new initiatives?
- How culture can improve public health and create wellbeing?
Stories to City News are also very welcome – more information below in "Writers' Guidelines".
Please do not hesitate to be in touch if you would prefer some other approach to the theme or in case of any other questions: email@example.com
- Please deliver the story by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in MS WORD format by 21 November 2022. A confirmation of reception will be sent to you. Lack of confirmation means that the message is not delivered.
- Each member city can submit two articles – one related to the theme of the Bulletin and one to the chapter City News. All stories should be sent in English.
- Each article may have max 400 words, no more than 1 page A4. The editorial board sometimes needs to shorten the stories in order to include more stories into the Bulletin. It is also important to include the author's name and contact details for any follow-up questions related to the story.
- Please make all efforts to include 1–2 good quality photos to illustrate the article (JPG format, one e-mail - one picture, the file should not exceed 3 MB).
- The deadline for stories to the Bulletin is 21 November 2022. Please respect this timetable so that we are able to publish the Bulletin on time!
- The Bulletin will be published online.
- See previous Bulletins for examples of stories: https://ubc.net/publications/bulletins