It was not until the 20th century that attempts were made to restore the former glory of the Pomeranian Dukes' Castle in Darłowo.
In the years 1929-1935, the castle was renovated to serve as the seat of the museum. This renovation was carried out without archaeological or architectural research. Numerous refurbishments and adaptations were made, incl. the connector was added and a staircase was built in it. Despite many historical inaccuracies and adaptation imperfections, the takeover of the facility by the museum ended the process of devastation, and ensured the possibility of surviving many historic architectural elements within the walls.